From Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers
Spirit work in the hoodoo and conjure tradition often involves enlisting the psychic aid of discarnate entities in order to accomplish specific prayerful, spiritual, or spell-casting goals.
Spirit Work is a concept that embraces many forms of contact with non-material entities and the gaining and transmission of otherwise hidden knowledge. The four major divisions of Spirit Work are religious, divinatory, magical, and mediumistic.
Spiritual entities consulted by a conjure doctor on behalf of clients may include Deities, angels and archangels, personal spirit guides, as well as the spirits of ancestors and the dead. Spirits may also include the spirits of places, animals, plants, water sources, and beings other than humans; and a rich and varied roster of spiritual entities.
When undertaken by a professional rootworker, consulting with and petitioning the spirits on behalf of a client may at times involve aspects of altar work and prayers, recitation of portions of scripture, such as The Book of Psalms, and Candle Services. If engaged as a form of divination or prophecy, spirit work may include mediumship or channelling.
Popular Forms of Spirit Work
Spirit Work is a term that covers a broad range of altar work and prayer as well as magical traditions of spell casting in which root doctors may contact or seek the aid of spirits and spirit guides. It also includes spirit contacts undertaken while working within the Spiritualist tradition or in a Spiritualist church.
Religious Traditions of Working with Spirits
Religious traditions are cultural belief systems revolving around the engaging and understanding of the numinous, a term that can refer to philosophical, theological, and cosmological concepts of deity, spirit, nature, and the universe. Common characteristics of a religion are a distinction between clergy and lay persons and a liturgical order of services. Any given religion may or may not include magical prescriptive rites and/or divination or prophesy. Religious services generally include both worship and fellowship. (Read More ...)
Divinatory Traditions of Working with Spirits
Divinatory Traditions of Working with Spirits are specialized forms of fortune-telling, reading, divining, prophesying, telling futures, and oracular disclosure in which the process of determining the present or future circumstances of a person, place, relationship, or object may be glimpsed, understood, or predicted with the assistance of spirits. (Read More ...)
Magical Traditions of Working with Spirits
Magical Traditions of Working with Spirits are generally transmitted in the form of collections of rituals, prayers, spell casting and other spiritual means of affecting change in the physical world. Found in virtually every culture across the planet, magical traditions often have connections to religious traditions or divinatory traditions, and reflect the cultural values from which they originate. (Read More ...)
Mediumistic Contact with Spirits and Spirit Guides
Mediumship or channelling is a form of divination or spiritual consultation in which the medium or psychic reader transmits messages through mediumistic contact with Spirits and Spirit Guides, most often the spirits of the dead, of ancestors, or of well-known messenger spirits within the Spiritualist religion. (Read More ...)
Consultation with the Dead in a Graveyard
The spirits of the dead, either as spirit contacts within the Spiritualist Tradition or as embodied in their graveyard dirt, can be very helpful to rootworkers both in the performance of spiritual work as well as casting spells. (Read More ...)
Consultation with Personal Spirit Guides
Consultation with Angels and Archangels
Angels are beings of Spirit who function as the messengers of God; Archangels have dominion over them, and Guardian Angels are those Angels assigned to help individual beings on Earth. (Read More ...)
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Candle Magic, Vigil Lights, and Lamps
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Mojo Bags, Nation Sacks, and Jack Balls
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Doll Babies, Voodoo Dolls, and Poppets
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Rites of Spiritual Cleansing and Bathing
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Contained Spells, Honey Jars, and Bottle Spells
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Oils, Incense, Sachet Powders, Baths, and Teas
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Magical Talismans, Amulets, and Charmed Jewelry
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Traditional Old-Time Spell-Casting Methods
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells with Spirits, Ancestors, Angels, Deities, and Saints
- Hoodoo Root Doctors and Spiritual Conjure Workers Cast Spells and Teach You How with Magical Coaching
AIRR Readers & Rootworkers Who Perform This Work for Clients